Our conduct policies were carefully crafted by hundreds of brilliant people
over the course of twenty years, building upon endless experience and
detailed discussions that could fill books upon books.

The UCoC Project ... seems to be built to supersede all that we've built in
this area, with an extremely inadequate replacement. It apparently
abandoned the idea of being a "minimal baseline" in favor of including
every preferred (and even aspirational) point available. The Enforcement
Guidelines thoroughly place the UCoC itself front-and-center, requiring
extensive linking and pushing it to be read by everyone (we have a hard
enough time getting people to read the existing conduct policies; making
everything link to UCoC will definitely drastically reduce the reach of
existing policies if not eliminate their presence outright), mandatory
pledges/affirmations of the UCoC and compulsory UCoC training (both as
prerequisites to sysop participation, conditions which will likely strip
the ranks).

The UCoC is a text that the community did not write. It remains filled with
dozens of very serious issues, but volunteers were never invited to edit
it. Basic attempts at even cleaning up the document's language were
reverted, as the staff are quite clear that it is not a Wikimedia document
that community efforts may be directly part of. Larger issues were ignored.
Even if we were to grant the idea that we would centralize conduct policies
and remove local variation in acceptable practices, it looks to me that
this attempt at producing a viable policy did not work. The WMF appointees
who wrote the UCoC, while they surely worked hard on the document over the
few months given to write the text, were quite reasonably not capable of
doing the kind of work we typically expect from the large numbers of
experienced volunteers who build core policies over the course of a much
longer time period.

Even taking into account the WMF's extensive campaign to convince people
that the UCoC was good (and to vote accordingly), and their admission that
they intended to keep pushing the UCoC indefinitely until a vote passed in
the direction they wanted, I am surprised and dismayed at the result of the
vote. The 57% support outcome (or 58.6% if one discounts neutral votes, as
is often the practice), while well below the amount typically needed to
establish consensus for a policy, is above the threshold the WMF determined
to use for their own purposes.

I don't know where we can go from here, or what the Board will do with this
situation. Numerous contributors have already pointed out that these
numbers fall clearly under "no consensus". The staff seem to have realized
that removing sysop tools from a large portion of the admin corps as
required would be disastrous. One of the more egregious problems present in
the UCoC text is already likely to be the subject of review following an
open letter by a user group, though many, many others remain largely
unconsidered. Local community preparatory work for dealing with possible
WMF action is ... roughly what I would expect (including the commitments to
not cooperate with UCoC efforts, or to implement them).

This is a pretty bad situation.

-- Yair Rand

‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 5 באפר׳ 2022 ב-17:32 מאת ‪Stella Ng‬‏ <‪s...@wikimedia.org
‬‏>:‬