I don't think there's anything blithe in pointing out that an
after-the-fact promise of secrecy serves no one.  Affiliates had to decide
whether to vote without knowing whether the list would be published (but
hopefully realizing that the username of their voter would be published,
although I'm not sure if this was made clear).  The main effect of post-hoc
secrecy here would be to sow confusion and set up unrealistic expectations
about future votes; in the last affiliate-selected board seat process, not
only was the list of voting affiliates published, but *their individual
votes were as well*: <
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asbs_presentation_matches_with_stv_py_results.pdf>,
and for the reasons Lodewijk describes, we might well wish to return to
such full transparency in the future.

If a decision either way had been made and communicated beforehand,
affiliate voters could have made an informed decision, but as with most of
the rules for this election, it was announced in the middle of the
election, rather than in the many months before it.  In any event, I agree
with SJ that this is a decision to be made by the elections committee, not
WMF staff.