Mastodon is not really a centralized social network in any meaningful way,
any more than "joining IRC" is. It's a bunch of individual servers, and
participating in that kind of environment isn't just signing up for an
account. It doesn't make sense to even talk about actually getting involved
without discussing *which* of the multitude of Mastodon instances to
"join," whether WMF should start its own WMF-themed instance, and whether
the reach from the instances are sufficient to be worth the trouble, or
other things first. There's a lot of legwork to be done first, as opposed
to the simpler task of signing up for, say, an alternative of similar
construction, like Spoutible.

Dan