Hey everyone,

The Future Audiences team is a small initiative at the Wikimedia Foundation
to do experiments to find strategies to make sure readers and editors keep
finding their way to Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia wikis. Anyone is
welcome to talk to us on the talk page, but we also have monthly video
calls.

The next one is on October 19, 14:00 UTC (Thursday next week in most time
zones). You can reply to me personally or send an email to
futureaudien...@wikimedia.org if you want to participate, and we'll send
you a link to the call in advance, once it's been set up.

You can read more here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Future_Audiences#The_next_monthly_Future_Audiences_video_call:_October_19,_14:00_UTC

There are a few topics on the agenda:

* AI and attribution. A presentation on how we hope AI tools can better
attribute content from Wikipedia, so that readers know where it is coming
from.

* Presentation of a small experiment to encourage video creators on TikTok
to tell their audience when they are using Wikipedia to get information for
their videos. For the first time, we're seeing how young people both use
and trust Wikipedia less than older age groups, and they are increasingly
using social media to find information. We want them to be aware when
Wikipedia has been instrumental in bringing them the information they
receive.

* And also, a presentation from Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga from the Basque
community about their Ikusgela project of pedagogical videos on social
media platforms:
https://diff.wikimedia.org/2022/05/27/basque-wikimedians-create-ikusgela-a-platform-for-free-education-videos/

If you can't participate, or don't want to take part of video calls, we put
notes and recordings from all calls here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Future_Audiences#Monthly_conversations

To read more about Future Audiences and this work, please see the Meta page:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Future_Audiences

The research about how younger audiences perceive Wikipedia is available
here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Research/Brand_Health_Tracker

(This was sent to the list earlier, but seems to have been caught by a
filter and the moderators can't find it in the queue – I hope it doesn't
turn up twice.)

Best,

*Johan Jönsson*Manager, Product Ambassadors