On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 10:29 PM geni <geni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 at 05:07, Samuel Klein <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ?   Many creators say they are glad to relicense their existing
> fantastic work, but don't have time/will to overcome the current obstacles
> to such reuse that they have to [personally] overcome for each video.  So
> we only get bulk contributions, through a third-party who is familiar with
> the wikis, once in a while...  a modest homegrown example: depthsofwiki has
> a range of great short videos that are partly educational and mainly
> inspiring to delve into the wikis and learn things. I suspect none of them
> are on Commons despite obvious relevance to the movement for outreach,
> illustration, and the like.
>

> I suspect we are dealing with Stated vs. Revealed Preferences. Saying
> no to wikipedia has more of a social cost than talking about technical
> issues. Converting to something wikipedia will accept is fairly
> straightforward. Handbrake has a GUI and pops up in creator workflows
> as a convient way to compress B-roll. Uploading presents more of a
> challange than most areas but that would be because we care more about
> copyright than most so probably unavoidable,

A bigger issue with a random YouTuber or other individual video creator
re-licensing their work is that *very* often, their "own work" is not
purely "own work"; rather, they use non-free music as background,
incorporate clips or memes in their video, etc., making the video
potentially *unacceptable* on Commons, even if the author of the full video
represents that they are willing to license their work under a free license.

This is a sticky issue, because there is no easy fix, technological or
otherwise, for clearing those copyright concerns.  If a video creator has
their contributions wait in some review limbo for weeks (or months), and
then has, say, four out of five of them rejected on copyright grounds, they
would be overwhelmingly unlikely to keep contributing.

(I'm just bringing up this issue that doesn't seem to have been mentioned
as a factor. I do agree and wholeheartedly support the need to accept more
formats and take on the burden of determining whether videos are usable
(what SJ above called "a stickier ingenstion process"); even if it won't
attract hordes of YouTubers to contribute, it could allow those of us
already involved with and interested in free knowledge/culture to
contribute more easily and frequently, and that itself could be
transformative, in terms of the presence of video content on the wikis
compared to status quo.)

   A.
  (in my volunteer capacity)
--