Hello All,

Just now, I listened in to the GLAM topic:  "How to improve our work on
notability? Librarians' case" in the Wikimania 2024 day 3 session.

I was shocked to hear of stories where well written articles were rejected
because of a so called "single source" conflation.

I'd like to remind everyone and also point out that there's unclear messaging
happening and some administrators using the unclear messaging in the WP:GNG as
reasoning for well-written and single source cited articles.  This is what I
posted in the chat during the session:

----
THAD:
It seems like if a good case can be made that an article provides additional
structure for another topic that can be crosslinked to an article, AND provide
at least 1 source, it should be allowed.
I've heard that only a single source is often used to say "not notable enough"
for acceptance.
But there is indeed this clause in the WP:GNG, that says 1 source is enough:

"There is no fixed number of sources required since sources vary in quality and
depth of coverage, but multiple sources are generally expected"

I encourage any GLAM contributor to bring up that quote.  This was solved and
agreed upon over 12 years ago.  A single source is enough.

The problem is that the original clause (which is still there) is overshadowed
by a previous sentence at the beginning of the WP:GNG saying:

"A topic is presumed to be suitable for a stand-alone article or list when it
has received 'significant coverage' in reliable sources ..."

Note it says "significant coverage" in reliable sources.  But that is
contradictory to the original clause where there is "no fixed number of sources
required".

In my opinion, the phrase "significant coverage" should be removed from the
beginning of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability#General_notability_guideline
And thereby the original clause brings with it much more clear understanding.
----

What say we?

Thad Guidry
user: thadguidry