mornin' all....

it's great to see people talking about this - and I particularly agree with
Andrew that there's a good chance we could do something great here :-)

So far, I've been more interested in giving people 'bite size' wikipedia's
to play with / learn from from the angle of learning about wiki, and
developing 'wiki skills', more than driving the quality of the article, or
even the content delivered - I see this as strongly in synergy with the HSC
syllabus for example - although it's important to note that this isn't at
all in tension with also delivering top draw quality of content.

The technical problems angela raised are easy enough to check out, I hope -
I don't really know what 'API' means I'm afraid, but the screen on wikipedia
says that it exports 1,000 revisions, so I'm wondering if it's wrong, or if
Angela left out a 0? Further, the whole 'only 2MB will work' thing is a bit
of a bummer, and I thought I'd take up James' (or any sysop on the WMAU wiki
who's up for it) offer to try out the Special:Import function.

I've created two 'XML Dumps' - one of the capital cities of Australia, and
one of the Prime Ministers of Australia - I think I may have accidentally
clicked some sort of 'grab the whole entire wiki' button yesterday, because
I cancelled the download at some 300+ Megs when I wanted to turn off the
machine - doing it from home has resulted in a far more friendly 15 Meg for
each file - far more than the 2 mentioned, but let's see if it works!

Any helpful sysop can download the dumps from here;
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f526a76ad2e1a96291b20cc0d07ba4d2637696439eb61065

Although give it a few mins - it's still uploading as I type :-)

As I (think) I mentioned, I'm still very much at the feasibility stage, but
would invite everyone interested in developing this idea to sign up, and
'dive in' helping it take shape;

http://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Schools%27_Wikipedia_Australia

cheers,

Peter