On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Craig Franklin <cr...@halo-17.net> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Unfortunately the physical objects that the collection is based upon (the
> glass plate negatives) are in a locked cupboard somewhere in the QM
> warehouse, so the possibility of getting our hands on them and making our own
> copies are fairly remote.
>
> I've deliberately worded the info in the infobox to be slightly ambiguous -
> QM *claim* copyright on the digitisation (much the same as the NPG in the
> UK), but there has not been a legal case here in Australia to my knowledge or
> the knowledge of QM's copyright people to confirm whether the "sweat of the
> brow" doctrine would hold up in an Australian court.  We only say that QM
> "assert" copyright over the digitisation, not that we recognise that
> particular claim.  And because the digitisation part is then released under a
> free, acceptable licence, the whole shebang is fine to go on Commons.

the template is here: [[commons:Template:QM_Infobox]]
watchlist it! ;-)

> The images are tagged PD because they are unquestionably PD in the United
> States, which is what really matters in this case, but it's worth mentioning
> that there is a possible bit of CC-BY-SA-3.0 in there just so that nobody in
> Australia or the UK gets caught out.

A similar example of a claim like this is:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phineas_Gage_Cased_Daguerreotype_WilgusPhoto2008-12-19_Unretouched_Color.jpg

and the derivative

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phineas_Gage_Daguerreotype_WilgusPhoto2008-12-19_CroppedInsideMat_Unretouched_BW.jpg

Legally we are better off having a CC image than a PD image - the
definition of the latter can change.

For cases like this, it would be nice to have a
CC-0-digitised-attribution license which requires attribution of the
digitiser, but does not assert copyright over it.

nice work Craig!

--
John Vandenberg