It's a fantastic idea, and nice work Gnang finding it and bringing it to
everyone's attention. I recall back for the "Wiki10" (10th anniversary of
Wikipedia celebrations) the WMF tried desperately (but in vain) to get an
antartic research group to host a party in order that there could be a
party on every single continent.

Certainly a letter of support from the Chapter should be submitted in
association with any applicant. Ideally the applicant would not only be
taking lots of gorgeous photos but also be able to provide some kind of
bridge between the WP editing community and the scientists down there - to
help increase a) the quality of texts about antarctic geography, science
and history, but also to increase the awareness and skills of the science
community down there in potentially their becoming editors themselves.

-Liam

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata