You'll not be surprised to hear that the idea of a single national license
has been proposed before (and especially supported by the smaller /
non-metropolitan universities. And you'll be equally unsurprised to hear
that the database companies don't like the idea.

This is why the fact that you can get off-site access to a LOT of academic
database for free via the national library is an open-secret... The
national library is proud of the service but if university libraries stop
subscribing and instead tell their students to go via the NLA, then the
database companies might start disallowing offsite access in the future.

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata