Personally I am in contact with the School of Cinema of Lugano to
investigate a partnership and as soon I said that Commons accepts only open
format like ogg... there was a general unsatisfaction.

The proposal was to upload in another website in proprietary format and
after convert in open format.

Regards

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Yann Heurtaux <yann.heurt...@gmail.com>wrote:

> We should talk a bit more with the Mozilla Foundation about that.
>
> I've seen how far you can push video editing for the (social) web with
> Popcorn <https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/Popcorn/> at Mozilla Festival,
> last october in London; there's definitely an interest, a frustration and
> high expectations by a lot of Wikimedians AND news professionals in this
> field.
>
> Same goes for sound in Commons: we have to be at least on par with
> Soundcloud, some day...
>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Manuel Schneider <
> manuel.schnei...@wikimedia.ch> wrote:
>
>> Am 16.01.2014 12:59, schrieb Gabriel Thullen:
>> > Instead of introducing full MPG4 support, we could support the
>> > development of a tool to transform a MPG4 file into an Open format which
>> > could be used on Commons.
>>
>> This is what I am looking for since a longer time and even made a
>> proposal to the WMF, which got dismissed due to the patent problematics.
>>
>> The point is that we don't just need a conversion service but also a way
>> allowing us to collaboratively work on videos and store our raw videos
>> (this is where MP4 / H.264 comes in).
>>
>> So if the WMF can sort out the legal problem on accepting H.264, I would
>> vote to only use it as an input format (which is one of the options on
>> the RfC page). With that done, we could finally implement a video
>> solution allowing collaborative editing and storage of raw material.
>>
>> The output always should be a free codec / format, fully agree with that.
>>
>> Find a description on what I mean here:
>> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-January/129671.html
>>

>> /Manuel
>> --
>> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
>> Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

> --
> *- Yann Heurtaux*
> Freelance Conversationalist