Uh and the attached PGP signature does not belong to me, this somehow
found it's way from the other post...
Michael

On 5/21/06, Michael Bimmler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What appears on wikimediafr-l shall also appear on wikimediach-l...
>
>
> ----------  Forwarded message ----------
>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] Chapters news
> Date: Dimanche 21 Mai 2006 03:14
> From: "Delphine Ménard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I have just come back from various trips which allowed me to attend,
> in my capacity of member of the Chapters committee, various Wikimedia
> meetings across Europe.
>
> Here is a little report on what I saw happening here and there.
>
> ==Wikimedia Polska==
>
> I attended the annual Wikimedia Polska meeting in Wroclaw on April
> 30th-May 1st. The meeting consisted of two parts. The first part was a
> conference which gathered Wikipedians as well as non-wikipedians to
> talk about and around Wikimedia projects. It was all in Polish, so I
> can't really report on the exact content of most of the talks, but I
> also had Łukasz (TOR) as a personal translator who sat by my side for
> some of the talks given (and I hereby thank him).
>
> *Tomasz Ganicz (Polimerek) did a very interesting presentation about
> NPOV, original research and how those two ground principles are linked
> and important for the building of Wikipedia.
> *Jarosław Lipszyc presented his project of Polish wiki-textbooks
> writen by schoolteachers, a project designed to make free textbooks
> available in Polish schools.
> *Zbigniew Braniecki (Gandalf), member of the board of Mozilla Europe
> and developper in charge of internationalisation and localisation for
> Flock presented Web 2.0 and how Wikipedia fits in. He explained how
> Wikipedia was a precursor of Web 2.0 through its social implications,
> and also how the Wikimedia projects and the Mediawiki software still
> had to improve their usability and accessibility to join the social
> and technical implications of Web 2.0
> * Łukasz Garczewski (TOR) gave a talk about the different activities
> of Wikimedia Polska.
> *I gave a talk on organisational issues, stressing the importance of
> local initiatives through chapters as a means of ensuring
> international outreach of the Wikimedia projects.
>
> Among other interventions I did not follow as thoroughly, Rafał
> Próchniak of Creative Commons Poland gave a talk on Creative Commons
> Licenses, Bogumił Cieniek (A_Bach) a talk on Templates, their use and
> their technical background... May those I forgot forgive me. My Polish
> is rusty.
>
> ==Wikimedia Deutschland==
> I attended the annual meeting of the board of Wikimedia Deutschland on
> May 6th-7th 2006. Every year, all members of the board get together
> for a week-end to work on the projects of the coming year.
>
> Among the different issues raised:
> *Officialization of the "Geschäftsstelle" for Wikimedia Deutschland.
> Arne Klempert, until now Vice-president of Wikimedia Deutschland, has
> been hired as Executive Director of WIkimedia Deutschland to start in
> October 2006. The creation of the position of Executive Director was
> given a go by the Member's general assembly in February 2006 and the
> position advertised brought in about 70 applications.
> *Run down on the Wikipedia Academy final preparations. Frank
> Schulenburg gave a summary of the Wikipedia Academy, which seems to
> have hit its target, namely academics, students, teachers who are
> interested in learning about Wikipedia and how they can participate.
> All about the Wikipedia Academy on the official website:
> http://wikimedia-academy.de
> *There are various projects in the air, in collaboration with partners
> as diverse as schools, other non-profits and possibly companies.
> *Participations in trade-shows and events in Germany were planned for
> the year 2006
> *The board of Wikimedia Deutschland also had a lengthy discussion
> about the role (or lack of) of Wikimedia (the organisation) in the
> conduct of the Wikimedia projects.
>
> ==Wikimedia Italia==
> My flight to Belgrade had a stop over in Milano, which I used to have
> an informal meeting with some members of the board of Wikimedia Italia
> as well as with some wikipedians. Around a home-made pizza, we
> discussed a few topics.
> *Wikimedia Italia has had various offers from sponsors, especially on
> the technical side, and needs to find out whether they are viable or
> not, reviewing them with the technical committee.
> *Wikimedia Italia has been working in partnership with the
> "Politecnico di Torino" to develop an offline reader to put the
> Italian Wikipedia on a DVD. The reader is in working state and works
> with a browser, the technology being based on the html static
> Wikipedia. The project is released under a BSD licence, and Wikimedia
> Italia is looking for a publisher who could be interested in producing
> the DVD.
> *I realized something, ie. how boring it can be for people who are not
> involved in Wikipedia to hear us all speaking about Wikipedia. Sitting
> here, listening to very particular problems involving users or
> articles I had no clue about, I had a thought for all our
> companions/friends/parents who have to put up with this Wiki thing all
> the time. I just want to take this opportunity to tell them I
> understand.
>
> ==Wikimedia Србије и Црне Горе (Serbia and Montenegro)==
> I was in Belgrade for two days, assisting a Free culture, free
> software and free knowledge festival, originated by Wikimedia Serbia
> and Montenegro and joined by other Free-movement organisation. Talks
> and presentations included:
> *Free art display - some real weird stuff, and some very nice art, I
> particularly liked the illustration of 'an axe in honey", a Serbian
> saying which displayed a major sized axe in a major sized pot of honey
> ;-).
> *Free music and concerts
> *Free software, open source distributions were presenting their products.
> *Free knowledge (I gave a small talk about Wikimedia)
> Many organisations joined this event which was in part driven by the
> chapter, among which an organisation about free wireless internet, a
> feminist organisation...
>
> The festival was hosted by the Cultural Center DOB, a state funded
> organisation, which is very interested in working with Wikimedia on a
> longer time basis, their goal being to try and develop communities
> around different topics, whether software, culture, knowledge etc.
> Again, the presentations were in the local language, which gave me
> little possibility of understanding them.
> However, I had long talks about the Serbian Wikipedia, and very
> interesting ones, as this Wikipedia is much smaller than those the
> other existing chapters are tied to by language. Their problems and
> solutions are both the same and very different, which is food for
> thought how Wikipedias can help each other (or not).
>
> All in all, these meetings were rich and interesting, and comfort me
> in the idea that local representaiton is definitely the future of
> Wikimedia. It is very important that we keep in touch with the
> initiatives that originate around the Wikimedia projects locally in
> order to ensure the maximum outreach, in as many countries as
> possible.
>
> I also hereby want to thank all my hosts, who were just perfect. :-)
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> --
> Association Wikimédia France
> http://www.wikimedia.fr
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediafr-l mailing list
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediafr-l
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Regards
> Michael Bimmler
>
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
> www.wikimedia.ch
>
>


-- 
Regards
Michael Bimmler

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch
_______________________________________________
www.wikimedia.ch Wikimedia CH website
Wikimediach-l mailing list
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediach-l

Reply via email to