Heya guys,
This is my opinion about the issue:
Wikipedia can be quoted only if the text being quoted has been backed by a
verified, reliable reference. Thus, the authenticity of the content depends
on the reference. In this case, if the SC is referring to Wiki, it should
have a ref behind it. If we can zero in on WHAT they have quoted and WHICH
article it comes from, we can maybe give the article more reliability, (if
it doesn't) .
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan (rsrikanth05)

On 25 October 2010 12:16, CherianTinu Abraham <tinucher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More stories on this
> Times of India : " Can Wikipedia be the basis of SC ruling? "
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Can-Wikipedia-be-the-basis-of-SC-ruling/articleshow/6806187.cms
> Outlook India blog :
> http://blogs.outlookindia.com/default.aspx?ddm=10&pid=2358&eid=5
>
> Thanks
> Tinu Cherian
>
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The judgment can be accessed here.[1]  Please refer to para 33.  There
> have been over 50 instances in the past where the courts of India
> (including the Supreme Court and High Courts) have cited Wikipedia in
> their judgments.[2]
>
> The Supreme Court of India has commented on Wikipedia as a source of
> information[3]:
>
> "Wikipedia, like all other external aids to construction, like
> dictionaries etc, is not an authentic source, although the same may be
> looked at for the purpose of gathering information.  Where an express
> statutory definition of a word exists, a Wiki definition cannot be
> preferred.  It cannot normally be used for the purpose of interpreting
> a taxing statute or classification of a product vis-a-vis an entry in
> statute.  However, as a source of authority, Wikipedia is frequently
> cited by judges around the world.  This is not restricted to India
> alone.  The New York Times reports that beginning in 2004, more than
> 100 opinion in the States have cited  Wikipedia, including 13 from
> federal appeals courts.  Is this a good thing?  There's a split of
> authority."
>
> As for the use of Wikipedia links and summaries in courts, this
> practice is not exclusive to India.  US judges have been citing
> Wikipedia in their orders and judgements all over including up to the
> level of the Federal Circuit Courts.[4]
>
> Mention in liveMINT: Wikipedia Justice[5]
>
> Status on WORLD DOMINATION?  Almost there. :)
>
> Anirudh Bhati
>
> 00 91 9328712208
> Skype: anirudhsbh
>
> [1] http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1521881/
> [2]
> http://www.indiankanoon.org/search/?formInput=wikipedia%20doctypes:%20judgments&pagenum=1
> [3] Supreme Court judgement in M/s Ponds India Ltd. vs Commissioner of
> Trade Tax (2008) http://www.indiankanoon.org/doc/1358324/
> [4] http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/29/technology/29wikipedia.html
> [5]
> http://www.livemint.com/2010/10/22225322/Quick-Edit--Wikipedia-justice.html?h=B
>
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Arun Ram <arunra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> Dear all,
>
> The following media reports of wikipedia being quoted a recent  Indian
> Supreme court case may be of interest to some of you.
>
> Supreme court Judge Justice Markandey Katju referred to some of the common
> tenets of the *Common Law
> [...]

Regards,
ME.
Wear a Lungi, Support the Movement
 My infrastructure invasion... plus other images
too.. on Wikimedia Commons. http://bit.ly/d50SIq