Pradeep, Arun, I tried.
Didn't work with my lab.
Lab admin refusing.
As for cyber cafes, I've managed to unblock it.
: )

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Pradeep Mohandas <
pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, this also gives a Wikimedian a needed excuse to talk about
> Wikipedia - a leg in the door, if you will. The Head of IT's interest
> did get piqued by being told about Commons but I'm not sure if she
> explored it much more. It was a situation that I could have positively
> exploited but I was just happy to get the restriction removed.
>
> Pradeep
> Handheld
>
> On 26/12/2011, Arun Ganesh <arun.plane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Pradeep Mohandas <
> > pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> Commons was blocked in my college too. All it took for me to get it
> >> unblocked was a 25 min conversation with Head of IT dept. She did the
> >> needful to unblock Commons. Suggest talking to the college's/cyber
> >> cafe's network administrator first to unblocking websites.
> >>

> > This is the best way forward, the IT admin of colleges, cafes always have
> > the option of overriding default filter lists. Students/colleges should
> be
> > encouraged to get contact the admins and get commons/wikipedia unblocked
> > and have free unrestricted access just like the local intranet. it will
> > encourage using wikipedia as a reference and more students to contribute.
> >
> > I remember i needed to pay to browse the web at my engg college. i had
> made
> > a request to make wikipedia free for access, but back at the time in
> 2005,
> > the admins did not take it seriously, times might have changed now.
> > --
> > j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>
> >

> --
> Pradeep Mohandas
> How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 13th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG