On 02/22/2012 07:00 AM, wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> From: Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com> To: Wikimedia India
> Community list <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org> Cc: WMF
> Localisation team <localisation-t...@lists.wikimedia.org> Subject: Re:
> [Wikimediaindia-l] Localisation and internationalisation bugs affecting
> Indic language communities Message-ID:
> <ca+30aunziw70guq189dlp0wf2ttgijxl5vndzebp3+r3pbq...@mail.gmail.com>
>> > bugs
>> > the
>> > no
>> >
> There is nothing to be distressed here.
>

>> > Srikanth, this is distressing to hear!  If you could point to some
>> > specific Bugzilla reports that have gone into the "black hole",
>> > including ones that no longer reflect reality, I could help ask the
>> > localisation team to follow up and at least put some updated information
>> > in the issues at bugzilla.wikimedia.org .
>> >
> They are called "black hole" for the reason anyone(apart from the filer /
> folks who conversed) might not be able to easily spot them. In most cases
> the bugs lack update from the filers / language communities. But again if
> the filer is from one generation and has retired, who does the follow up?
> Ideally language support teams must do it. But all of us know Indic
> communities have very few people to look into these and the common pattern
> I have found across few communities I have interacted is that spending time
> on bugzilla / improving technology/language support is not going to change
> things big way, so I might as well be contented (Ex:- "Why Narayam when js
> works fine") with whats there and do my editing. But at some point,
> communities need to focus on these, as and when the communities grow, they
> will also get contributors who are interested in supporting the language
> technically.
>
>> > But the larger

>> > point !
>> >
>> > This is also distressing to hear!  I'm not quite sure what was implied
>> > there -- did the speaker mean that the localisation team won't address
>> > certain problems until there are more tracking bugs to help track
>> > issues, or something else?
>> >
> The quote was from one of the bugs I remember seeing on bugzilla, said by
> someone on a totally different bug nothing related to localization. The
> point I implied quoting it was "process for the sake of it doesn't help
> much beyond a point". Adding tracking bugs does not impact the age of the
> bug. The bugs remain open either because they are hard to solve / lack of
> bandwidth / lack of input / variety of other reasons, not because no one is
> tracking them. Adding a tracking bug wont magically fix the bug / help in
> the getting it to closure. But tracking bug serves useful especially for
> anyone new to see what are problem areas, how can I help fix / test / not
> report duplicate bugs etc.

>> > bugzilla.
>>> > >
>> > Yes, adding the i18n keyword to an issue in Bugzilla will help bring it
> [...]

Thanks for the reply and for giving more perspective on these issues,
Srikanth.  I know that other people who work actively on localisation
and internationalisation, and on helping nurture smaller Wikimedia
projects, can speak with more experience and knowledge than I can.  But
I do want to mention here the language support teams

https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Language_support_team

which are a structure that could help with some of the problems that you
mentioned.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator