On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> hi,
>

>> I don't think it's a good idea to separate the chapter and the community.
>>  The chapter is a membership-based organization and by definition an
>> umbrella organization which represents the community.  There is no reason
>> for differentiation as long as it is volunteer work done by a chapter
>> member.
>>

> I think that although the chapter and community are volunteer based, the
> chapter has more legal sanctity and is answerable as an organisation
> against as a person being held responsible. Hence, it is important that
> even the chapter and the community be seperated. As an action taken by a
> member stating that he's taking on behalf of a  chapter, makes the Chapter
> answerable.
>
> I think it is necessary to seperate the chapter and community as well.

Sure, I agree with the sentiment.  The chapter is a legal entity and hence
accountable to its members and the state and national authorities.
 However, what I was trying to convey is that if a member of a chapter (who
also happens to be a volunteer) executes a project, in that scenario, I
don't see a reason to differentiate whether the work was done by a
"community member" or a chapter, unless the volunteer member wishes to do
so.

> In retrospect, I also understand the need for seperating the Foundation
> activities as well. I think it is best to either go for total seperation of
> community, chapter and Office or have general statements. This also makes
> it necessary for people who hold multiple positions within Chapter and
> Office to define their actions even more concretely since we're now
> speaking in terms of transparency and accountability.

We will discuss overlapping roles and notify the community about our
decision.  Thanks for the comments!