On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Theo10011 <de10...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org>wrote:
>

>> As always Theo, thank you for your incisive analytical insights.
>> Assuming one were to use social media for outreach, how would you do
>> it differently?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> And you are Welcome. :)
>
> I won't do it actually. As memory serves, WMF has never used Social media,
> or hired one of those "social media experts". The community might have an
> opinion or two, if that approach was taken aggressively. Regardless, being
> located in SF, having an abundance of native-English speaking, social-media
> gadflies, puts the SF staff in a much better position to try these
> approaches, yet they never did it aggressively, in all the years I
> followed. The official twitter handles existed, but were rarely used to
> promote or do outreach in an aggressive manner, they have a moderate number
> of followers and links. I kind of appreciate that, it doesn't smell of
> desperation, makes certain things look reserved and official. I still wish
> they had slightly higher visibility and control over them, but that's jay's
> preference.

Hi Theo, If we are trying something in India that chaps in SF have not
concentrated on, i would not necessarily label it as a negative approach.
Gut instinct tells me that fb, twitter outreach might be more successful
here as we are riding the social wave with people just discovering and
exploring the new world that smartphones and 3g open out to them.

These platforms can easily extend the social collaboration that goes on in
wikipedia to an extended audience if done properly. What i think would be
useful way of measuring these things is to release statistics monthly on
the number of retweets or shares that could indicate the actual reach of
these outreach efforts. Util then however, this is nothing to boast about.

j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>