On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Tejaswini Niranjana <t...@cscs.res.in> wrote:
> Colleagues working in Bangla say that in their experience it is faster,
> cheaper, and less error-prone to create digital texts by typing them in.

The "cheaper" is an interesting word to use in this context. Are we
still arbitraging on the low-cost of human labor to input texts? It is
faster/less error-prone because you are comparing against systems that
are vaporware.

> Once there is a larger body of digitised texts, and OCR technology for
> Indian languages also improves, OCR could become the preferred option.

With the strong emphasis on "cheaper", I wonder if there will be
enough demand for a machine driven system.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>