It is widely covered in vernacular press

This is one among the english reports
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/digitising-contest-to-preserve-rare-books-in-malayalam/article5538126.ece

I think it may be relevant to share the context of this too . This may be
helpful and useful for other wikisource communities. I am part of the
Organizing Team and our organization , Swathanthra Malayalam Computing is
one of the partners for this

1. Unlike Latin based languages , Most of the Indian languages does not
have a functional OCR solution. So for us  the digitalising means typing
the pages and proofreading them .
2. Even though there are many state run institutions and libraries are
engaged in scanning books for their digitization , The public domain works
are not available in most cases . Initiatives like GLAM  s not much suited
for small librarys and state institutions.
3. In short the absence / Way to thank library for preserving books  till
they release under public domain  with proper media attention becomes a
difficult task . This program experimenting a way to thank Govt institution
named Keral Sahithya academi  via media attention for preserving and
donating the public domain copies to many books to wikisource .
4.Wikisource can be used as a way of training new users to familiarize with
mediawiki and wikisyntax . A Typing+proofreading competition with declared
prizes anyway attracts more users and attention . within first 5 days 80+
new contributors and 798 pages added to Malayalam wikisource
5. We Succeeded in getting IT@School program of Govt of Kerala as an
official partner and created a seperate competition for schools . So
Students under the guidance of teachers can involve in  Malayalam
wikisource and get exposure for wikimedia projects
 6. This helps in building more references for wikipedia articles . This is
an important concern for many languages without much digital archives

Thanks to Vishnu , Director of CIS-A2K for initially coming up with an idea
of running a proofreading contest in malayalam wikipedia by offering some
Devices . This helped us to start exploring the possibilities and expanding
the program with more partners .

In last October Malayalam wikisource community released a 2.0 version of
its offline CD  . This is the next major endeavour

~ regards
Anivar Aravind
User:AniVar