+1 Srikanth Ramakrishnan

The ISO 8601 format <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601> for date too
corresponds to the same above (YYYY-MM-DD) format.

Real advantages of this format are (1) Non-ambiguity, (2) Correct sort
order even when data is processed as pure text and (3) international
consistency

Certainly, this is one of the subset of CLDR too.

I suggest all Wikimedia projects should have this format as default, but
again, customizable per user preferences.

-Viswam