hi,

when looking only at the sw contributions, i do think the community is vibrant:
http://sw.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Maalum:MabadalikoyaKaribuni&limit=500&days=30
maybe it would be possible to tackle it from a contributor side?

what afripedia does has also some appeal to me: a template on the user
page to collect people in a category. with tools like wikiscan it is
easier possible to support new people contributing (yes, i know it is
not - yet - available for en/sw):
http://wikiscan.org/?menu=userstats&userlist=Cat%C3%A9gorie%3AUtilisateur+participant+au+projet+Afrip%C3%A9dia

rupert.