Hi, David.

You are mistaken:  We are not judging all of you, and we have not punished
anyone, not even Stephen.  What we did was demand accountability, and that
is a non-negotiable part of our movement, founded as it is on open
collaboration and transparency.  I realize it's been very demoralizing for
the rest of you; I can say I acted as soon as I knew something was wrong --
can all of you say that?  The lack of trust I referred to was what was
evident from exchanges on this list in the past few months, not from the
side of the Foundation.  I have met a lot of you in person and I do trust
you.  I will support you in any mission-aligned attempt you make --
including with funding.

You are also mistaken in still perceiving the revocation of the
_provisional_ chapter recognition as a punishment.  That was not the case
at all;  the recognition was provisional to begin with, and depended on two
things -- formal incorporation within a year, and sustained activity.  Both
of those requirements were not met, and so the provisional recognition,
which was only for one year _to begin with_, expired.  The embezzlement had
nothing to do with it.

To your question, there is nothing to appeal -- that recognition is gone.
 You can always apply for chapter status again, according to the
instructions here[1], but you would do well to begin by getting people
together and regenerating some enthusiasm to do Wikimedia work -- editing
sessions, photo walks, training sessions, etc. -- and by seeking
recognition as a Wikimedia User Group.  Do note that your group has not
been "demoted" from a chapter "to a user group" -- its recognition as an
affiliate was revoked, and the group is now simply not recognized as
affiliated at all.  To _be_ recognized as a User Group, you would need to
seek recognition according to the (much easier) process here[2].

Again, I would urge you to not worry about the status or label of the
group, but to instead focus on creating value for the mission.  Once a core
of value exists and has some community energy behind it, the rest becomes
easy.

Cheers,

    Asaf

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Step-by-step_chapter_creation_guide