>>They do, however, need to be set up by the donor
>> which makes it less likely people will do so.

Damn right. SOs can only be set up online for people with some types
of bank accounts. I haven't done a standing order in decades and the
charity I work for doesn't solicit new ones cos they are too much
hassle compared to a DD.

To set up a SO for WPUK I would have to ring my own bank fight through
a call centre and electronic tele-questionaire to get them to send me
a form which I then have to complete with the WPUK details (which I
have to find somewhere, not to mention finding a biro if I still own
one) and then I have to find a stamp and find an envelop and walk to a
postbox (GB has closed all the post offices round here but post boxes
still exist and I guess they are emptied) to post back the form to the
bank. Perhaps 30 minutes all told?

To set up a DD I go on line with a sort code and bank account number,
the bank address autocompletes on the form and it takes about 45
seconds.

Perhaps I should post you a cheque and do a DD next year. Can you
accept CAF cheques yet?

Andrew