Aside from the possibility that London might want to be a chapter, I
would have thought that organising subchapters by language would be at
least as relevant as geographical ones. We have wikis for Scots and at
least three celtic languages, plus perhaps Bangla and other languages?

I see no reason why we can't cut this cake in several different
dimensions, depending on whats relevant to the task in hand.

WereSpielChequers

2009/12/6 AndrewRT <andrewrtur...@googlemail.com>:
> When we were recognised as a chapter by the Foundation we got
> permission to use names like "Wikimedia Wales", "Wikimedia
> Scotland" (plus other language derivations) with the thought that some
> day they might be useful to have. We haven't yet had the need or
> opportunity to use them, but there are a couple of things coming up in
> the pipeline where it may be useful to brand ourselves "Wikimedia
> Cymru" and "Wikimedia Scotland" respectively rather than Wikimedia UK.
>
> I was thinking through how we could do this, and i was wondering if it
> might be a bit too much to just use the name without any kind of
> justification for the Welshness / Scottishness of the organisation.
> This is the idea I've come up with, which can be implemented with
> minimal effort  and still justify, if we need to, to the outside
> world, our use of the terns. Please let me know what you think:
>
> 1) All members would automatically be allocated to a branch when they
> join based on where they lived
> 2) Any member could choose to switch to a different branch if they
> wanted to
> 3) The first branches would be England, Wales, Scotland and Northern
> Ireland (could discuss setting up more if the need arose in the
> future)
> 4) The board of Wikimedia UK could appoint a branch chair (and more
> officers if need be) from one of the members of that branch.
>
> That way we could brand things:
>
> xx xx
> Chair, Wikimedia Cymru
> followed by a contact address in Wales
>
> rather than:
>
> xx xx
> Secretary, Wikimedia UK
> with a contact address in England
>
> This would be particularly helpful when dealing with, for instance,
> Welsh language projects or devolved governments.
>
> Some time in the future - size and activity permitting - these may be
> able to evolve into fully fledged autonomous branches - or even
> independent chapters.
>
> For the constitutionalists among readers, I'd propose we establish the
> branches through an Article 28 resolution of the Board, ratified by
> the next AGM.
>
> Please let me know what you think.
>
> Andrew

WereSpielChequers