On 24 May 2010 00:29, Brian McNeil [Wikinewsie]
<brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> I've found what seems like a really good T-shirt shop in Edinburgh; and,
> they do print-to-fabric instead of crappy transfers or expensive, and
> likely to crack, screen printing. The main reason for me seeking such is
> to get accredited reporter tees for Wikinewsies; however, depending on
> the Chapter's mandate to fundraise and permissions with relation to
> logos, my chat with the owner indicated he'd be delighted to do
> local-area tees, with Wikipedia/Commons content appropriate to the area
> (Think T-shirt with WP logo, image of Edinburgh Castle, and intro text
> from the associated article.)
>
> To be blunt, the CafePress offerings are overpriced, and just not
> tempting enough for people to buy. I've CC'd Kul as he's likely to have
> the effective final say on drawing up deals with local businesses like
> this. But, I'm hoping the idea has appeal to a lot of UK Wikimedians.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I've - finally - got a couple of days off (well, I'm doing 1830 to 2230
> overtime today, Monday), but can have a chat with the guy in the shop
> this afternoon, or Tuesday. There's potential for something a million
> times smarter than the "I visited <location>, and all I got was this
> lousy T-shirt" stuff; with most reasonably-well-made tees costing around
> £20 to buy, but there being a 100% markup, I think it'd be easy to ask
> for a £1/tee licensing fee for the logos.
>
> Does WMUK have that authority?

It is an interesting idea. I don't think WMUK has the authority to do
it unilaterally (we can sell t-shirts to members at cost price, but
once you start to get commercial we need to consult the WMF), so you
were right to CC Kul. What do you see as being the benefits of doing
this? I think the financial benefits wouldn't be worth the effort (we
make hundreds of thousands of pounds a year from donations, I wouldn't
expect us to make more than a few thousand pounds a year at £1 a
t-shirt). Do we think the PR/marketing side of it would be a
significant benefit?