On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 00:38 +0100, AGK wrote:
> On 27 May 2010 19:48, Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:
> > On the surface, it looks reasonable for Wikimedia (meaning the WMF
> > primarily, but also WMUK if we ever assist with hosting), as we'd fall
> > straight under 9.1a as a facilitator and hence would clearly not be liable.
> > I have to admit to not being familiar with the details of existing law on
> > this, but presumably it's a lot more unclear.
>
> The probability that this specific bill will go anywhere past a second
> reading is quite small. But IIRC the new government intends this term
> to review defamation law in England (I presume separately from Lord
> Lester's efforts), so this is far from a lost cause—and with the
> ferocity of the libelreform.org campaign, I can't see it ever becoming
> so.
>
> Today is certainly a good time to be part of the free culture movement.

Yes. I read with delight Private Eye's reporting on a couple of cases
thrown out recently; think chiropractors, and those who might from-afar
attempt to conceal their 'shady dealings' elsewhere from the British
press by muzzling such.

The combination would, based on my cynical observation, lead in America
to a massive campaign to criticise Lords and Judges for "legislating
from the bench".

It remains to be seen where 'hospitality' and such might influence the
debate on the issue; were I scripting for those speaking on the
issue,...

"The truth should be the ultimate defence. The cost of defending such
should not be prohibitive, nor should the influence available through
wealth and power allow the concealment of facts pertinent to the welfare
of the citizens of this country."

There's utter hypocrisy in Fergie being splattered all over the tabloids
for hinting that a half-million bribe would be nice. Far, far, less
mention of imaginative tax-dodging wheezes like Tesco's online store
selling CDs - at the same price as their physical stores. And, invoicing
you from the Channel Islands, charging no VAT, and putting in the small
print that you're liable if the tax man asks any questions.

Then again, ... Wikinews doesn't rely on Tesco's advertising for their
loss-leader alcohol. :P

Brian McNeil.
--
"Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news."
 · Freelance, community-accredited, journalist.

Wikinewsies do not officially represent the Wikimedia Foundation, its
chapters, or any of the officially registered projects; all work is
done on a freelance basis.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil | http://www.wikinewsie.org