From: wikimediauk-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimediauk-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Turvey
Sent: 27 February 2011 18:58
To: wikimediauk-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] job descriptions

Thanks for your input, Tom - you raise some important points.

> And a question for whoever understands company law: would the
> following be possible in theory:
>
> 1)      I find a group of 5 people who want to stand for the board on a
> platform of giving back the entire earnings of WMUK to the membership...

I would personally very much welcome your experience and approach back on the
board! However, I'm afraid, no, the plan wouldn't work. Wiki UK is founded as a
company limited by guarantee which means its funds can only be used to finance
its mission. Unlike companies limited by shares, the company is not able to pay
dividends to members or benefits to board members. You could, for instance,
stand on a platform of donating the entire funds to the Foundation, if you
wanted, and abandoning the plan to professionalise the chapter and employ staff.

> A question for the treasurer while I'm paying some attention to this stuff:
> what interest rate are we currently earning on our half million? If
> they're less than around 4% or something how do you justify this.

We are currently earning only 0.20% on cash held in our current account and no
interest on cash while it is in PayPal. Most of the money is only intended to
be there for a short time, but we are looking into investing the balance that
will be held on reserve.
Having said that, 4% is a very generous rate at the moment, even for half a
million.

> This is yet another reason
> why our current level of income is a bad thing not a good one. I was
> sceptical about entering the first fundraiser before we were ready.
> Given we failed to spend that money we clearly weren't, so doing the
> second one really wasn't in anyone's best interest.

I'm inclined to agree - which is why I want to give any surplus funds we dont
manage to use effectively to the Foundation. It's interesting that the history
of WMDE is quite similar to ours in that they also underestimated their income
and significantly underspent in the first few years.

> Even assuming the WMF is
> completely efficient, that's over 20% of expenditure going to admin.

The admin to project expenses ratio, whilst crude, is one that a lot of people
look at, particularly the Charity Commission. Personally, I'm not sure the
chapter manager, if he focusses on the things I've started to list, should be
counted as "admin". On that basis, we could end up with quite a healthy ratio -
which reflects the fact that nearly everything is and will still be done by
volunteers. Something like the GLAM-WIKI or British Library events had very
little overhead expense.