My money is on "scared". And, in many, many cases I'd still bet that
this is the case.

Over the last 6+ years the only people kicking this issue back into the
sunlight have been Private Eye. At least two police investigations have
been closed in an unseemly manner, with claims everything was already
known. Given recent revelations, this is obviously not the case. Police
have seemingly been bribed, blackmailed, or otherwise compromised. Ditto
for our elected _servants_ in Westminster.

I can't wait to see what comes next; will The Dirty Digger need to fall
off the back of a yacht when the FBI and Australian Federal Police
investigations ramp up? Will half the UK's politicians be forced into
early retirement on their index-linked final salary pensions that
resemble those they've taken away from the majority of UK public
servants?

Pass the popcorn! I'll take this over Corrie anyday.

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 23:39 +0100, Roger Bamkin wrote:
> Now that the barndoor is open it appears that most MPs and journalists
> can now not only see it but they can write load and long pieces about
> it. Question: Did they know about all this before? Were they ignorant?
> Were they scared? Or did they just not see it?
>
> On 20 July 2011 21:14, Brian McNeil <brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org>
> wrote:
>         Forgive the cheekiness, but this seems most apt as a subject
>         to bring up
>         on the WM UK list.
>
>         If you've not heard about the NoTW phone hacking, I
>         congratulate you on
>         having very, very effective reality-defenders.
>
>         Otherwise, assuming you've been like me and enjoying the
>         tabloids being
>         vilified, what questions would you like put to Robert
>         Greenwald on the
>         issue?
>
>         This is for an original article on Wikinews, and Robert was
>         the
>         producer/director of "OutFoxed: Rupert Murdoch's war on
>         journalism". He
>         exposed the overbearing hands-on force downmarket with Fox.
>         What sort of
>         things would people like him asked to speculate about
>         regarding the (now
>         6 yr+ debacle over phone voicemail hacking).
>

>         Brian McNeil.
>         --
>         http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil - Accredited
>         Reporter.
>         Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news.

> --
> Roger Bamkin
> Chair WMUK
> 01332 702993