On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 12:15 +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 13 September 2011 09:22, Fae <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are there any views for or against using an image of "Wikimedia in
> > Scotland" rather than just the WM-UK logo? My concern is that some
> > will resist joining in a "UK" branded programme but would rush to
> > support a country specific initiative. If it gets better results, we
> > could follow a similar pattern for Wales and avoid appearing to push
> > "UK" in every document (or teeshirt).

> Before signing the chapters agreement with the WMF, we were careful to
> amend it to include permission for us to call ourselves "Wikimedia
> Scotland" (etc.) in order to leave our options open for this kind of
> thing. You could, therefore, use a Wikimedia Scotland logo (with some
> small print making clear that both Wikimedia Scotland and Wikimedia UK
> are trading names of Wiki UK Ltd. on anything more important that a
> t-shirt).

> The downside of that is that it harms brand recognition, since neither
> brand is getting used as much as a single brand would be. The only
> question really is whether the benefit from appeasing Scottish
> nationalists outweighs the harm from splitting our brand. I don't know
> enough about Scottish nationalism to know, but I can believe that it
> would be.

A simple illustration of the view from this side of the border was
expressed in today's freebie paper, the Metro. Surprisingly, it's
near-identical to one I personally used over ten years ago when living
in Belgium:

"Scottish first, European second, and British last". That, as I'd hope
people south of the border understand, is because to much of the rest of
the world Britain = England.

All three of the major UK political parties are looking seriously to, at
a minimum, devolve their Scottish presence and give it far more
autonomy. Further to that, a recent survey found that over 30% of the
population expect to see a truly independent Scotland in their lifetime.

Scottish national identity, and political awareness, has come a long,
long way since I was a student chucking past-their-sell-by-date duck
eggs at the Iron Lady.

Brian McNeil.
--
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil - Accredited Reporter.
Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news.