From: wikimediauk-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimediauk-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Andrew West
Sent: 30 September 2011 13:20
To: wikimediauk-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] A little wiki "hacking"

On 30 September 2011 13:04, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed. Part of the issue there is that the number is diminishing so
> much that there aren't enough speakers left to really produce a good
> encyclopaedia (there's something like 60,000 global speakers). The
> problem is even more apparent when you realise that what speakers
> there are tend to be a lot older than our core contributing
> demographic.

The whole point is that encouraging minority language wikipedias helps
revitalise the language.  These wikipedias will never compete with
enwp for completeness, but you only need a handful of good wikipedians
who are fluent in the language to be able to produce a reasonable
number of good quality articles, which can have a beneficial impact on
increasing language acquisition amongst the young, which in turn will
tend to increase the number of contributors in that language as time
goes on.

Andrew
[[User:BabelStone]]