On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Gordon Joly <gordon.j...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 17/01/2012 15:28, Alison M. Wheeler wrote:
>
> Also, given that even .UK .IT .NO and all the rest of the ccTLDs refer back
> to the dozen of so root DNS servers, they too could be poisened under the
> draft bill as it exists. So make no bones about it, these proposals *will*
> affect just about every country in the world if they go through.
>
> AlisonW
>
> So who owns the Internet? Who has ultimate authority over DNS?

Nobody owns the Internet.  DNS is distributed.  The US is the manager
of the "root zone".

Every user can choose which DNS server they consider authoritative.
There are options, like Google and OpenDNS.

https://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

Every ISP can choose who they use as the authority of DNS resolutions.

Every operating system can use deploy a new DNS resolution authority.

Every web-browser could override the default DNS resolution provided
by the operating system.

All of the above currently choose to accept the US managed DNS root
zone as the authority, but only because the US govt has not tried to
interfere.

It would be a shock to the Internet infrastructure if we needed to
select a new manager, but it would hardly be noticed by the average
end-user.

--
John Vandenberg