Meant CATALOGUED not UNCATALGUED

Quoting Jon Davies <jon.dav...@wikimedia.org.uk>:

I am sure you all know this but the Imperial War Museum uncatalogued every First World War memorial (Including private ones) a few years back.

Quoting WereSpielChequers <werespielchequ...@gmail.com>:

In suggesting things like war memorials I'm not trying to restrict people,
but I would like to point them to our gaps. It should be easy for anyone to
work out whether we have photographs of the churches, libraries, statues,
war memorials, blue plaques, pubs and hospitals in their patch, and a fill
in the gaps project would in my view be well worthwhile. I think that it is
much more positive for our current and future photographers to acknowledge
that we already have a couple of million images in the UK and our aim is to
make that more comprehensive.

Of course those who are willing to look up lists rather than just look at
the images that we already have would be welcome to complete our
collections of listed buildings and Ancient monuments. ut for Wiki Loves
Monuments I think we need to make things easy and at the same time
interesting. The Geograph really does have images of a fallen fence post
with the description "most interesting thing in this grid square". I think
we could and should do a WLM contest that asks people to fill in
interesting gaps, and caters for pretty much whatever interests our
photographers.

A photo of every gravestone in every cemetery would certainly be of
interest to the amateur genealogists, but we need to remember that not
every volunteer would share their enthusiasm - I've categorised a fair few
Geograph images and apart from notable people like Darwin, Monty and
Captain Bligh the bulk of the cemetery shots don't give detail on
inscriptions. But following on from Charles Matthes point, maybe what we
should be doing is outreach to these various cemetery societies and
offering them a home on the web for their images.

WereSpielChequers

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513 Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk