I know some of the relevant folks through one of my day jobs, and I've
encouraged them to think about Wikipedia/Wikimedia through mailing
lists/ talks and so on. This included corresponding with the WW1
Centenary project's developer, Pat Lockley, about the MediaWiki API.
Since then, Pat has created
http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/space-into-place/all-quiet-on-the-wikipedia-front/
. So my and others' behind-the-scenes discussions may have helped get
people thinking about our approach.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Michael Peel
<michael.p...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> Nice. :-) Was this spontaneous on their part, or was there behind-the-scenes
> discussions here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 29 Mar 2012, at 18:33, Chris Keating wrote:
>
>> Oh, don't worry, we do!  And we're not alone - many of the digital staff
>> working in various institutions are very open to this, as are some funders
>> of them (e.g. Europeana)
>>

>> Of course the best possible sell is showing what could be done with material
>> once it was released... :)
>>
>> On Thursday, March 29, 2012, HJ Mitchell <hjmitch...@ymail.com> wrote:
>> > I think we should make a real effort to explain the pros and cons of the
>> > various CC licenses and what they actually mean for copyright holders and
>> > re-users. I think many choices of licenses like NC are born out of a lack
>> > of understanding, and people might be more receptive to CC-By-SA if they
>> > understood it better.
>> > I could be wrong, but that's my general impression.
>> > Harry

Dr Martin L Poulter
Board member/ Trustee, Wikimedia UK   http://uk.wikimedia.org/
Wikipedia contributor