On 13 April 2012 22:52, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequ...@gmail.com>wrote:

<snip>

> I don't anticipate that this suggestion to offer a manual commons upload
> for the Geograph users and the high def images they now load would be as
> contentious as it would be to resume the bot based import.
>
> The kind of debate that has been opened up here is, in Wikipedia terms,
one of the oldest (the "Rambot" issue of almost a decade ago). I wouldn't
say that the Commons community will necessarily come to the same
conclusions as (English) Wikipedia did, namely that large-scale additions
of free content should not be resisted simply on the grounds that quantity
is in tension with quality. But the precedent agrees with my views as an
end-user, which is that more images implies broader coverage implies I'm
more likely to find there is some image I could use to illustrate an
article when I go to look for one. (I gave an example in another thread
recently, i.e. [[Lewis Cubitt]]).

Charles