I dont know whether this is what Richard and his friend were
discussing, but the MonmouthMuseumWales RFC has closed

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/User_names&oldid=489718366#MonmouthMuseumWales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#Rewarding_Incomptence.3F

I have often faced this issue during training & workshops.

The most recent example can be seen here

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=CityLibraries_Townsville&action=history

(it started in userspace)

Thankfully nobody blocked the accounts during the training.  Over
lunch I explained the reasoning behind our username policy and they
instantly understood why it was a bad idea to use institutional names.
 They created new accounts after lunch. ;-)

However no everyone has experts to talk to at lunch.  Instant blocks
for such a trivial problem are stupid.  We should give orgname
accounts a few days to select a new username and jump through the
hoops.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Richard Symonds <chasemew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Me and a close friend were having a rather heated debate tonight on the
> topic of role accounts, and I am hoping you (as a community) can answer my
> question:
>
> Why do we ban role accounts?
>
> I was of the understanding that it was something to do with copyright/legal
> issues, but it's been a few years since I passed RfA, and I'm struggling to
> remember the arguments that I once remembered so well. I had a trawl through
> all the appropriate pages on meta and enwp, and although I could find out
> that role accounts were blocked, I couldn't see the justification behind it
> mentioned anywhere
>
> I'm not disagreeing with the policy, but I was wondering if anyone knew the
> reasoning behind it - and why said reasoning isn't included in the policy
> pages?
>
> All the best,
>
> Chase

John Vandenberg