> From: Gordon Joly <gordon.j...@pobox.com>

> > I mean,_linking to_  online TV is considered a copyvio? Next thing you
> > know, being able to remember any details of a TV show you watched last
> > week will be considered a copyvio for having a 'copy' in your brain.

> I am not sure of the charges, but, yes, I can see how a link to is a
> copyright violation, in the context of "sharing".

The article actually states that, in the USA, there is precedent that
linking to a copyright violation does not, in itself, constitute a
copyright violation.

Since the site is largely-inaccessible, I can't comment on what it was
linking to; this could be as-simple as with cases such as the pub
landlady Sky tried to sue for using a EuroSat box and showing her
customers matches from another EU country. That got kicked out as
violating EU competition laws, which I sincerely hope far more pubs and
clubs wanting to show sporting events exploit. Next time you're in a pub
that shows Sky matches, ask how much they pay, you'll be shocked.

The UK has its own copyright laws, and letting this fall back to US law
is just allowing someone to be persecuted with higher costs and the risk
of a more serious sentence. Theresa May is, given the last 3-4 months
screwups, the most incompetent Home Secretary the UK has ever had.

You have to wonder, is surrounding himself with blithering idiots the
only way David Cameron escapes looking like an utter prat?

Brian McNeil
--
Wikinews, Accredited Reporter. Personal: brian.mcn...@o2.co.uk
"Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news."