On 17/09/2012 23:50, rexx wrote:

The only problem is likely to be finding a good implementation in
software. There is a refinement of Schulze described at the article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_STV which has a python
implementation at
https://github.com/bradbeattie/python-vote-core/blob/master/pyvotecore/schulze_stv.py
but more interestingly, an online voting service at
https://modernballots.com/

It's available as part of MediaWiki extension [1] from the 2008 WMF board election onwards, since superseded by [2].

On 17/09/2012 23:40, James Farrar wrote:

> I'm very keen that the election method we choose is (in theory)
> hand-countable (that's one reason why I propose STV-ERS97 rather than
> a different variant (the other is that I've been counting elections
> under STV-ERS97 since 1998...)).
>
> Frankly, I have never trusted electoral systems that rely on
> computers to the point that the votes go in, a button is pushed, and
> a black box churns out a result. I'd be much happier with a system
> that can if necessary be recounted by hand so that there's a backup
> just in case.

Schulze is hand countable. It just get awfully long very quickly if the the number of voters / candidate increases. This is certainly something that will have to be considered.

KTC

[1]: <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BoardVote>
[2]: <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SecurePoll>

    - Heinrich Heine