Thanks for the email Harry - I'm sorry to hear that people are worried
about our expenses policy. Any concerns should go to Jon.

I think that in this case, we weren't as clear as we could be when sending
out the initial email. I think that the policy is applied thoroughly and
fairly, and it's being used for this event.

We've been invited to speak at the conference for 20 minutes, on one day -
we're thus happy to cover expenses for that day. However, as we're not
actually required for the other days, I don't think that accommodation
overnight for anyone - staff or volunteer - would be in line with our
charitable objects.

We can fund people to speak at the conference, by all means: that would be
well within our objects (we'd be teaching people about Wikimedia). People
are welcome to stay for all three days on their own time, of course, but I
don't think that attending the entire conference is really something that
Wikimedia UK could fund using donor funds.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992