On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com>wrote:

> True, but don't want to through the baby out with the bathwater. We
> need, as a community, to learn how to manage conflicts of interest. We
> can't just avoid them.

Indeed. Part of that is separating decision-making from any benefit that
results from those decisions. Community input will be vital in further
developing things like our GLAM programme, and we are planning to formalise
that with things like a formally-constituted GLAM Committee. It's very
likely that that programme will in future involve more Wikimedians in
Residence and more staff.

What we can't have is a situation where someone on (say) a GLAM Committee
is helping make decisions about where Wikimedia UK is seeking to appoint
Wikimedians in Residence, or what their contract should say, and then
applying for one of those Wikimedian in Residence posts. I hope this makes
sense.

Thanks,

Chris