This is a great debate to have. On the 23rd at the five year planning
even<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Looking_at_the_next_five_years_%E2%80%93_a_day_workshop_on_the_future_of_Wikimedia_UK>t
there will be lots of tie to reflect on this and make proposals.
Hope you have all signed up.

Jon

PS Katherine* has* been doing member development work. For instance, a
member's monthly enewsletter. Let me know if you have not been getting it.

On 7 March 2013 12:28, John Byrne <j...@bodkinprints.co.uk> wrote:

> Indeed. We've never had more than 250 members, not all of whom edit,
> though of course most do.  As part of their role the board have to try to
> judge what the non-member community would like rather than just the members
> or those posting here & on the WMUK site. And as this list shows (how many
> members does it have?), the community actively interested in WMUK & irl
> activities generally is a smallish group - when an informal census was done
> it came to about 80, which seems about right - who are often
> over-stretched. This is one of WMUK's biggest problems, which we haven't
> had much success improving in the last two years.  I'm not sure how much
> the membership en masse want to "lead" frankly, let alone the community.
>
> John
>

> A "member-led" organisation - imagine that?  In simple terms, an
> organisation that trusts the 5,000-strong UK Wikimedia community more
> than a handful of people who currently sit on the board.
>

>> I see this as a confusion of the legal situation. I understand the
>> aspiration, of course.
>>
>> Board - a dozen, or so..........
>>
>> Membership - several hundred
>>
>> Community - several thousand
>>
>> The board and the membership (since WMUK is company limited by
>> guarantee) have a legal footing. The wider community does not. Wouldn't
>> it be nice if all 5,000 joined the current membership?
>>
>> Gordo

>> End of Wikimediauk-l Digest, Vol 92, Issue 9

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk