Some interesting comments here!

First of all the idea of WMUK supporting the bid has been chewed over by
the board for many months. In the end they agreed to support the bid.

Wikimania bids have not come from chapters traditionally but from
volunteers in the local community. The support of the local chapter, if
there is one, is seen as a plus.

If the bid is successful we will work out a way of balancing the support
the chapter can give with the desires of the independent bidding team.  As
Chris says this has been harmonious so far and we have offered them space
in the office when they needed it.

So beyond that there are no plans. Obviously we have been thinking about
options and talking to previous hosts and the foundation about what would
be good practice.

But get involved!

It isn't the Olympic but it would be BIG. Taking off my CEO at I will be
lobbying for WIkimania only cycle lanes between the Barbican and the office,

Jon

On 19 March 2013 08:52, Charles Matthews <charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com>wrote:

> On 19 March 2013 08:40, James Farrar <james.far...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps I'm being particularly dumb this early in the morning, but I
> > can't actually see why these semantics matter - certainly compared
> > with, for example, delivering a high-quality bid.
> >
> > On 19 March 2013 08:26, Charles Matthews
> > <charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> of

> >> I am unfamiliar with the concept of a "WMUK volunteer". Wikimedian
> >> volunteers who happen to be in the UK may have no connection at all to
> >> WMUK, and throwing the phrase around is unhelpful.
>
> In short, because the stakeholder analysis in the WMUK comms strategy
> seems to me not to have been implemented. A stakeholder analysis is
> not "semantics": it is being clear about the vague concept of
> "community". A comms strategy is what you rely on when you suddenly
> need people to turn up and back a major event. Not having an adequate
> one can bite you in the bum.
>
> Charles

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk