On Tuesday, 14 May 2013 at 12:08, geni wrote:
> On 13 May 2013 14:39, Charles Matthews <charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com
> (mailto:charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com)> wrote:
> > The point about not citing encyclopedias is really old hat. Once you're in
> > tertiary education you shouldn't cite tertiary sources?
>
> May not be addressed depending on the field. Back when I was doing my degree
> they just insisted that you cite journals so the issue of primary secondary
> and tertiary (and to be fair significant chunks of wikipedia are secondary
> rather than tertiary) didn't arise.

Part of the problem is that information literacy is really poorly taught IMHO.

It's often shuffled around universities: between academic staff, librarians and
learning support people, and nobody actually takes the time to tell students
what is and isn't acceptable. (And then those students start editing Wikipedia…)

I saw a first year student a while back who was citing a "crystal healing"
website to define key terms in moral philosophy for the essay they had to do on
computer ethics as part of a computer science degree at a top 10 UK department
for computing. Nobody had actually taught them at school or upon getting to
university that some sources were better than others, and that you might
actually have to go to the library and open a book rather than just go to
Google and find a source that says what you want it to say.

I know that when I got to university, they offered those kinds of skills as
optional "study skills" modules, which lots of people just didn't bother going
to - because they naturally assumed from having passed their A-levels with
grades good enough to let them go to university that they didn't need to learn
any new study skills. Making basic information literacy and study skills
non-optional both at school and university would be good.

It's not Wikipedia's job to make society actually teach information literacy
(although Wikimedians and WMUK might want to publicly advocate it). That's the
job of schools and universities. It'd be nice to know in a non-anecdotal way
whether they are actually trying to do this and how well they are doing.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>