On 12/06/13 09:12, Gordon Joly wrote:
On 12/06/13 08:02, Edward Saperia wrote:
Gordo;

It means designers of online communities; people who design digital spaces for group interaction. This is a large and active area of study, and Wikipedia is an interesting example because not only is it active and well populated but the participants have created something of enormous value. Imagine if World of Warcraft did the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_participation

Github is a digital space based around Git. Why don't you think it fits?

Thanks. Github is one of many. So it fits, but so many other software suits and frameworks, going back a decade or two.

For example, Usenet?

Gordo

And, I must mention FLICKR, if only to gain some exposure, even if a little off topic:-)

I have used FLICKR both as an online repository. But like Geocities, some thing has changed in the past few weeks (Yahoo being a common factor!!!)...

I have 28,000 images. I have tags and organised a large proportion, and used the images in other projects. I have contributed many of my own images to Wikimedia Commons. Images from FLICKR have been added by bots as well.

I "moved" a community to FLICKR that did not do well as a Mediawiki. But thrived on FLICKR.

Compare:

http://deadpubssociety.org.uk/index.php/List

http://deadpubssociety.org.uk/

with

http://www.flickr.com/groups/deadpubssociety/ (over 7,000 images)

I am also active in other "online community" groups on FLICKR. But that has all changed with the past few weeks, with the new FLICKR which promotes the image and obfuscates the semantics of the data.

Gordo