Le 21/02/2014 21:44, Fæ a écrit :
Could someone explain how this fits with past experiences of setting
up school-friendly versions of Wikipedia, like
http://schools-wikipedia.org?

I answered above, see http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediauk-l/2014-February/011827.html

Moreover, it's not only a matter of providing content to children but for them to "freely share knowledge" and "empower them to collect and develop educational content under a free license and to disseminate it effectively and globally." (Guess where I picked this up ! ;-) )

There is also the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child (signed and ratified by the UK) which states: "Article 13 - 1. The child shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive *and impart information* and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of the child's choice."

Even if the readers/editors rate is roughtly the same as on Wikipedia (I mean that while Wikikids.nl and fr.vikidia are some reasonable success in audience, they don't gather a massive community of editors. fr.vikidia has 600 000 UV a month, 175 active user a month and about 20 very active of any ages), I can tell that children and teenagers can really appreciate and be proud to be involved in such a project !

--
Mathias Damour
49 rue Carnot