Thanks for this Fabian. Whilst individual responses would be great I'm also
happy to draft/co-ordinate a response from Wikimedia UK. John Lubbock gave
an interview on fake news recently and I agree that we are very well
positioned to respond to this. I note the deadline is 3rd March so will
follow this up in February.

All best
Lucy

On 31 January 2017 at 13:54, <leu...@fabiant.eu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just emailed Damian Collins MP
> <http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/damian-collins/3986>, chair
> of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee, who are conducting an inquiry
> into Fake News as regards releasing under an Open Government license Gill
> Bennett's *A Most Extraordinary and Mysterious Business: The Zinoviev
> Letter of 1924* published by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, General
> Services Command in 1999. Please see the Wikipedia article on the Zinoviev
> letter <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinoviev_letter> for more details.
>
> Aside from encouraging others to lobby Damian Collins for the release of
> this piece of scholarship, I would also be interested if there is an
> interest amongst Wikimedia UK to give a written submission to the Fake News
> Inquiry. I can't help feeling that over the last 8 years or so we have
> gained significant experience in dealing with "Fake News" and other
> manifestations of misinformation and that we have achieved a certain amount
> of success. In fact I believe if we hadn't done this Wikipedia would not
> have gained its current reputation.
>
> I would welcome other peoples views on this. For more information please
> see the Call for Written submissions
> <http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/culture-media-and-sport-committee/news-parliament-2015/fake-news-launch-16-17/>
> .
>
> all the best
>
> Fabian
>
> (aka Leutha)

Lucy Crompton-Reid

Chief Executive

Wikimedia UK

+44 (0) 207 065 0991

Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects). *Wikimedia UK is an independent
non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility
for its contents.*