Open Research Exeter
<http://www.exeter.ac.uk/research/openaccess/databases/orepolicies/#d.en.444179>
allows people to publish content under Creative Commons licences.

Aside from open licences, a lot of institutions are doing some good work
with making theses available online for free. As well as Exeter (where I'm
a PhD student), there's Edinburgh
<http://www.ed.ac.uk/information-services/library-museum-gallery/finding-resources/library-databases/databases-subject-a-z/database-theses>
, Hull <https://hydra.hull.ac.uk/>, Oxford <https://ora.ox.ac.uk/>, and White
Rose <http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/> which covers Leeds, Sheffield, and
York. Not everything is freely available - for example because some have
embargo periods - but it represents a large resource of free-to-access
information.

On 1 May 2017 at 14:34, Deryck Chan <deryckc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks John for the idea. I'm in a good position to participate on a
> personal basis if something like this goes live.
>
> I'm a PhD student at Cambridge University and I'm partially funded by
> EPSRC which requires all their research publications to be open access. So
> I will have the option to open-copyright my eventual PhD thesis, especially
> if there's a movement and a repository for it.
>
> Deryck
>
> On 1 May 2017 at 14:22, John Levin <anterote...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> The subject of publishing postgrad / PhD these under open licenses came
>> up via the W.UK twitter account a few days ago:
>>
>> Wouldn't it be amazing if all postgrad/PhD students were given the option
>> to publish dissertations/theses on Open Licenses? #OpenKnowledge
>> https://twitter.com/wikimediauk/status/857618743924592640
>>
>> I think there's two issues here: first, if, how and when postgrad theses
>> are published, then second, under what license.
>>
>> For the first, there's been debates recently about embargoing publication
>> etc. Eg:
>> http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/publishing-dissert
>> ation-online/51361
>> But that's another subject really.
>>
>> For the second, I think there's no reason that prevents any thesis being
>> published under a free open license, save where there is use of copyrighted
>> materials. But I haven't found many unis stating this clearly.
>> Leeds is the only UK university I've found that overtly advocates CC
>> licenses:
>> https://library.leeds.ac.uk/info/371/copyright_for/294/copyr
>> ight_for_phds/4
>> But this is on the sole basis of a few hours googling.
>>
>> I'm a PhD at Sussex ATM, so will be looking more closely into their
>> arrangements next year.
>>
>> John
>>
>> --
>> John Levin