Waldemar Januszczak, writing in the Times (ironically, paywalled!) says:

"Some of Britain’s leading art galleries have been accused of killing
scholarship by introducing fees for the reproduction of images of
works in their collections.

"Tate has led the way in imposing “crippling fees” on journals,
according to The British Art Journal.

"The charges could amount to thousands of pounds for small-circulation
publications to illustrate scholarly articles, the journal said,
describing it as “a licence to print money, a licence to kill
scholarship”."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/british-museum-and-tate-cash-in-on-pictures-of-art-6d903nvsx

and he has tweeted:

" I call upon the Tate and others to end this scholarship-bashing.
You're supposed to be on the side of civilisation!"

   https://twitter.com/JANUSZCZAK/status/893390807331373056

While this may also apply to in-copyright works, this clearly relevant
to our recent discussions about what is known as "copyfraud".

I've replied, suggesting he contact WMUK with a view to collaborating.
Maybe someone at WMUK can follow that up?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing