On 18 December 2017 at 09:05, geni <geni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 December 2017 at 13:59, Fæ <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> All the maps can be found in sub-directories by county from Cornwall
>> to Orkney at
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ordnance_Survey_1st_series_1:10560.
>

> Hmm we're going to need a new copyright tag. The images are not
> faithful photographic reproductions since someone (well The Andrew W.
> Mellon Foundation) has been pretty brutal with the levels. Not
> original enough to qualify for copyright mind. Just wish I could get
> access to the raw scans.
>
> --
> geni

The copyright statement seems adequate. To be a "faithful
reproduction" does not require a technically fault-free reproductive
process, just one where the intention is to create a reproduction. All
digitizations reduce quality in some way.

I agree that the levels are abrupt on the scans, but they are a
usefully high resolution. It would be a great future project to use
some WMF or other funding to pay for a better digitization.

Fae