Like any such service the network blocking will be contracted out. No
doubt NYCC use a standard database and their filter might also be
using keyword filtering. There ought to be exceptions for the
Wikipedia domain, which appears to be missing, but even then there may
be additional keyword filtering. The school or institution can
normally request additions to the whitelist if they think that LGBT+
or sex education related Wikipedia articles should be allowed.
Hopefully Wikipedia in total is not being blocked because of getting
classed as "sexuality sites", even though the screen shot appears to
show that.

A wider response from the chapter would be to have practical
guidelines for all institutions about recommendations for internet
filters and blocks that might accidentally be filtering Wikipedia, it
might even be useful to turn those guidelines into a user essay on
Wikipedia itself, especially if there are best practices for schools
and general secondary education that can be referenced. The specific
case, based on a Reddit post, should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Fae