Rather than buy some digitization equipment Wikimedia UK might be better off
hiring an instructor for a workshop on making one of these scanners. If you can
find enough people interested in attending.  Then everyone will be scanning
things that interest them personally and more likely to see the the projects
through.

Birgitte SB